- Advising on the funding and financial implications of local government reorganisation and devolution
- Reviewing service delivery models and structures, including shared services
- Undertaking fundamental reviews of financial management arrangements
- Providing assurance on revenue and capital accounting practices
Examples of the type of work we have undertaken across our key areas of specialism are provided below.
Financial Management Advice
Policy & Research
Savings Identification & Delivery
Funding Formulae & Modelling
"The LG Futures’ team has huge experience and expertise in the public sector and is responsive, highly professional and always delivers."
Richard Simpson, Strategic Director of Resources, Sutton Council
- Investigating cost and funding issues relating to government policy proposals, including for DCLG, DH, DfE, DWP and DEFRA
- Preparing the evidence base and establishing a financial case for special interest groups and individual authorities, to assist in lobbying
- Programme evaluation and cost-benefit analysis
- Carrying out large-scale surveys, quantitative analysis, qualitative interviews, developing case studies and facilitating stakeholder workshops
“LG Futures led work for the Department of Health and Social Care, partnering with the Personal Social Services Research Unit, to devise tools, collect data and quality assure the largest ever dataset for the review of the Adult Social Care Relative Needs Formulae, in the context of the introduction of the Care Act 2014. This consisted of detailed small area data from over 50 councils and a national survey of 13,000 care homes.”
Jonathan White, Economic Adviser, Department of Health and Social Care
- Corporate and individual service reviews
- Providing dedicated support for the revenue and capital budget processes
- Reviewing fees and charges and optimising income generation
- Applying our own bespoke benchmarking, value for money and cost forecasting tools
"Time consuming and technically challenging issues can be dealt with by specialist experts, helping plan my resources better and offering excellent value for money."
Andrew Blake-Herbert, Group Director Finance & Commerce, London Borough of Havering
- Analysis of funding levels, including advice on business rates retention and pooling
- Developing financial models to identify the impact of new government policies e.g. the Care Act 2014, changing demography and service demand
- Reviewing existing and developing new funding formulae for central government, health and local authorities
- Data analysis and statistical modelling
Using LG Futures’ Medum-Term Revenue Resource forecasting model greatly supports our team in ‘crunching the numbers’.
We’ve integrated their robust forecasts into our financial planning process; and, given the ever-changing system, it’s also incredibly reassuring knowing that their national experts are only a phone call or email away.”
Kevin Bartle, Interim Corporate Director – Resources, London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Tailored on-site financial management training for finance professionals, budget managers and members
- Training support for regional groups of councils
- Developing blended materials, including e-learning modules; user guides; podcasts; quizzes; and case studies
- Chairing meetings and workshops, facilitating discussion between groups of stakeholders
"LG Futures tailor all training materials to our local systems and processes, greatly enhancing the relevance of the training for our managers. Their trainers make what some consider a ‘dry’ subject both interesting and engaging. Their diverse experience with other local authorities and professional bodies also adds real value."
Claire Cook, Assistant Director - Finance, Hertfordshire County Council