In the current, incredibly challenging, COVID-19 environment, with a constant stream of new announcements from government, LG Futures’ continuously updated expert briefings, analysis and forecasts have been absolutely vital. 2021/22 is expected to bring even more complexity and unpredictability.
With this in mind, we’re very glad to have once again subscribed to the full Toolkit, providing the council with complete assurance, and ensuring that we respond effectively to the changing agenda.
Joe Chesterton, Executive Director (Finance and Resources) Southend-On-Sea Borough Council
Equipping Your Finance Professionals to Deliver More With Less.
LG Futures provides a range of subscription services, through our Financial Intelligence Toolkit, to equip your finance professionals in delivering more with less. Details of the contents of each subscription are provided below.
Unsure how robust your resource planning is?
The Resource Planning Hub is an extensive source of forward-looking online guidance, supplemented by dedicated expert telephone and email support, to inform and improve the robustness of your resource planning.
Key features of the Hub include:
- Subscribers receive a complimentary place at each of our regional events.
- Latest detailed local authority funding analysis at your fingertips, including national developments, recent trends and future forecasts.
- Identification of ‘at a glance’ highlights, key implications arising and checklists.
- In-depth evaluation, supporting a local assessment of funding resilience in your authority
- Coverage of the full breadth of the main sources of finance. This includes council tax; business rates and levels of appeals; fees and charges and use of reserves locally, and also covers RSG; top-up grant; NHB; and other general/specific grants externally.
- A range of over 20 Tools to support individual authorities in reviewing their own funding trends and projections and enable comparisons with other authorities. This includes Tools on balance of funding; council tax; business rates and levels of appeals; reserves; and fees and charges.
Overloaded with complex funding developments?
Receive expert, timely and informative briefings on the national funding issues that will impact upon your authority.
Detailed Briefings - comprehensive coverage and analysis of funding announcements, including Spending Review; The Finance Settlement; Local Government Resourcing Consultations; and Major Policy Developments.
Monthly Updates - regular round-ups of topical finance issues.
E-Alerts - instant alerts, highlighting important announcements and funding opportunities.
COVID-19 Local Government Funding Consolidated Briefingpdf 353.26 KB
MHCLG Guidance on compensation scheme for lost fees and charges income from Covid-19pdf 525.2 KB
Collection rates for Council Tax and NNDR in England 2019 to 2020pdf 221.22 KB
Provisional Finance Settlement Briefing Note 2020-21pdf 404.32 KB
Uncertain about your financial future?
Our comprehensive Medium-Term Revenue Resource Forecastmodel provides continuously updated forecasts for your individualauthority, with full telephone and email support.
Key features include:
- Continuously updated five-year forecasts for your individual authority, with full telephone and email support.
- Local authority specific data pre-populated to avoid users having to input data locally.
- The ability to change national and local assumptions e.g. CPI, council tax and business rates taxbase growth.
- Forecasting resulting business rates income; levy and safety net amounts; pooling income; and Section 31 grant payments.
- Identifying the interaction between the Collection Fund and General Fund on business rates.
- Forecasting council tax income, based upon forecast taxbase and rate changes.
- Potential upper and lower funding scenarios for your own authority.
Too much data, not enough interpretation?
These user-friendly benchmarking reports enable you to readily compare your financial position against similar authorities and nationally, identifying areas for potential further investigation.
Unit Costs Report - expenditure per unit of activity and savings that would potentially be achieved by moving to upper, median and lower quartile spending levels.
Savings Report - identifies changes in budgeted spending at individual service level and enables you to compare your savings with other authorities.
Fees and Charges Report - identifies fees and charges income as a proportion of service expenditure, showing where income is relatively low compared to other authorities.
Local Taxation Report - shows council tax and business rates trends, including taxbase changes, business rates growth, council tax levels and collection rates.